Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Careers in China media

Have you ever dreamed of becoming a reporter?

I have. I remember the Channel 31 news anchor lady Karen King. Crap, I hope that's her name. This was light years ago, mind you! Anyway, at a young age, my dad would make comments of me becoming a news reporter just like Karen. And for maybe a split second in my youth, I really did want to be just like her. But things change as we venture into life and a reporter was wayyyyyyyyyy in the back of my mind. At the same time, I never really looked into the occupation in my adult years.

Ever since my sister and I purchased my dad a mini netbook for Christmas one year, he's been an avid, and I mean AVID, internet user. To be specific, he is a frequent visitor at cctv.com. Cctv is China's news hub, better known as cntv in China. So during dinner one evening, he brought up becoming a news reporter in China. "All you need is the ability to speak English." "That's it? Are you sure?" "I go to this site all the time. Of course, I know."  Hmm, sounds awesome! I mean, I'm pretty video shy but I was hoping maybe I can do some research or conduct interviews for news reports and what not. I perused the jobs section and found out that, YES, you need to speak English, BUT you also need to be able to talk up in front of the camera and you'll need to submit sample work, which means it's highly desired you have some type of experience in the media field. Thanks but no thanks, Dad.

Anyhoo. If you're interested in going abroad to further your career or to make this your career you might want to check this out. They currently have a few openings for a travel program host and news assistants and what not. Some positions also state you need a Bachelor's degree.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny -- my mom wanted me to become an anchorwoman too! She said it's so she can watch me on TV every night. Haha.

    ReplyDelete